Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Photo Organization

I recently bought Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 as I need to organize the photos I've taken over the years.  I have over 70k photos that I've taken digitally since 2001, and they take up almost 500gb.

I imported my pictures from the file server pictures share, and it took about 3 hours, then I spent a couple of hours cleaning up my many (failed) efforts at tagging the pictures over the years.  At this point, I realized that I really should come up with a tagging scheme that I was going to stick with.

My photos are broken down into a couple of broad categories:

Art - Photos I've taken as art pieces
Reference - Photos I've taken as reference (or stock).
Family - Family pics.  The vast majority are these pics.
Friends - Pictures of friends
Church - Pictures taken at church events
Travel - Pictures taken on my various travels

I realize that some of those are less 'categories', and more a description of the subjects of the pictures.  And so my new task: Figure out how to tag them in such a way that I can do searches on the database efficiently.

Anyone have a good strategy for tagging pics?

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I have found is that no single category can describe each of my photos. I tend to multi-tag the photos. I'm doing a decent amount of HDR stuff these days as well so i also tag the over/under sequences. Lets me search easily, but can be tiresome when pulling in a lot of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm certainly gonna have to multi-tag, just not looking forward to all the work...

    ReplyDelete