Saturday, July 16, 2011

Forgeworld Ork in Mega Armor

Finished this piece a couple of days ago.  It's a very rare ForgeWorld Model in resin.  I've had it for several years, and it's been on my workbench for a long time.  Forgive the poor photos, I couldn't find my portable "studio" setup.

It's about 5 inches high, and way bigger than the standard Games Workshop model:



Next to it you can see my old Ork in Mega Armor from many moons ago.

I'd painted his torso before I even left So Cal, and recently finished his arms and base.  Decided to try some new techniques on his arms.  His right arm (with the big scissors, don't worry, he can't run in that getup) was done with the hairspray and salt method.  Base it, spray hair spray over it, sprinkle salts with varying coarseness in a couple of layers, let dry, do your top layer, and then remove the salt with an eraser.  Didn't work out as well as I'd liked.


His right arm was done using rubber cement.  I painted all the metal in rust colors (base in dark brown, splotch with dark flesh, various reds and oranges), then took rubber cement and covered ("protected") various spots where it might rust.  Then I painted it in my usual "Yellow", which is about 7-10 layers of various colors, with 2-3 washes, and then removed the rubber cement, exposing the rust.  It was finished with pastel chalk pigment.   This one worked much better than the other arm.





Orks are SO much fun to paint.  I think my next project is either a Looted Shadowsword or a Stompa with full interior. 


5 comments:

  1. Would you be willing to sell this beastie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or know anyone with this model that would sell it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, I haven't seen another. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete