Friday, February 7, 2014

The Process

Ok, so it's been a while since I've posted. Almost a year.

It's partly because last year was a more than a ltitle rough, and partly because I've been so busy.

But I'm back.

Twisted Sifter
If you don't read Twisted Sifter, you should. And if you don't read the Shirk Report every Friday, you DEFINITELY should.

Last week's shirk report caught my eye.  Yeah, the image links are already pretty good, and they actually manage to show me some images that I haven't already seen.  If you don't know, I work at Cheezburger, and we make it our jobs to find cool, funny images.

However, this video really resonated with me.



The video above talks about how our 'taste' starts out much more mature than our ability, and it can ruin an artist. I certainly suffer from that.  I find it incredibly discouraging that I can't make things turn out how I want them to, and I invariably put down my pencil or brush and wait a few months before I start again.

Remembering to "art"
Back when I was studying art, my teacher, the great Sheldon Borenstein, told me that every artist has 10,000 bad pieces of art in them, and the trick was to get them all out of the way so he can get to the good stuff.

Over the last 10 years or so, I think I've sketched, painted or drawn a couple of thousand pieces, and I only really like a maybe a hundred or so.  Not a good success ratio.

The funny thing is that I also paint miniatures, a very non-traditional kind of art, and have been painting them for 30 years. I'm pretty darn good at those.  Every one I sculpt or paint looks great. But when I look at other mediums, I'm really no where near as good as I expect.

But then, I'm still really far away from finishing my 10,000 pieces of bad art.

I think what I need to do is to use my success in miniature art to fuel my drive in other mediums. I need to remember that I can really create great work, but it just takes time, practice and it's a process. I need to be dedicated to it.

I need to "art" every day.

Only 8000 more drawings to go. If I can do 10 pieces a day, then I'm only a couple of years away.  I'd better get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment