Sunday, April 20, 2014

Distractions


As a family, we've been dealing with a major medical issue since Wednesday last week.  Everyone will be fine, but while we wait, it's been an increasing struggle to focus on anything but the next set of visiting hours.

It's pretty amazing how myopic these things make us. It's hard to see anything beyond everything getting back to normal. It's hard to do anything that isn't just killing time.  It's hard to start new things, or do things that I enjoy.  And it's easy to sleep. Alot.

I've realized how much this parallels how I feel when I'm depressed.  But when I'm depressed, I'm focused inward rather than outward. I wonder if there's something to learn about how to deal with my depression in this.

I believe that everything works to God's glory, and I think we've all come to realized that we'll learn and grow from this, both as humans and as Christians. There are numerous lessons to be learned here, if we but align ourselves with God and listen.


"My eyes are ever on the Lord for only he will release my feet from the snare. Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my anguish. Look upon my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins." Psalm 24:15


No comments:

Post a Comment